Safe places training, 11 nov
Details for the two remaining local church, face-to-Face Safe Places training events for 2017 (11 Nov at 2pm) are listed below.
A reminder that there are 3 requirements for all pastors, those regularly working with children and for all members of the church board:
1. Have a verified working with children check;
2. Complete either the online AdSAFE training (7 modules) at elearning.safeplaceservices.org.au OR the face to face training;
3. Sign the pledge.
- Support for survivors of abuse and their families
- Training and resourcing local churches
- Help with Policy implementation
- 100% commitment to abuse-free churches and church-related activities
Any concerns can be confidentially and anonymously shared with our 24-hour a day, 7 day a week hotline: 1-800-220-468.
ROYAL COMMISSION TRAINING
Some major changes will be occurring in 2016 and beyond to accommodate new safe guards required since the Royal Commission.
Together we will move forward to make our churches a Safe Place and ensure that we are helping those who are vulnerable, suffering and in need within our churches.
As Nominating committees sit, please remember that all staff and volunteers who work with children and young people in the Church should be screened. This includes;
- Compliance with criminal history record checks requirements which are often referred to as ‘Working with Children Checks’.
- Meet ‘qualifying’ periods before the local Church appoints them to working with children (12 months if new to the congregation, 6 months if transferring from another Adventist church)
- Complete ‘referee checks’ for all staff or volunteers who are new to the congregation or being appointed for the first time
- Undergo an interview to ascertain the applicant’s suitability for working with children/youth
- Pledge to follow the local Church’s Code of Conduct and Child-Safe Policy.
According to the worldwide ‘Church Manual’ (18th Edition, 2010) it is the duty of the local Church’s Nominating Committee to make “careful inquiry” into the suitability of people they nominate to the Church for appointment to positions with children and youth. Between appointment cycles, this duty rests with the local Church’s Board.
If you work with children, are in leadership in your church, are the Safe Place coordinator you are encouraged to call us with any questions.